Skip to main content

Our Favorite Audiobooks for Kids


We love audiobooks at our house. Since we strive to be as screen free as possible, we let our kids listen to audiobooks as much as they want. They listen to them during naptime/quiet time during the day, and at night when they are going to sleep.
 I've always been picky about what books I read to my littles and let them listen to--no twaddle allowed, only living books for us. (Look up Charlotte Mason--she is totally homeschool goals.) I've always loved old books--there are no substitutes for the classics. I love hearing my little people use old turns of phrase and colloquialisms in their everyday conversations. It's adorable. I like to give them books that fuel their imaginations and it thrills me when I overhear them reenacting the stories they listen to.

We use Audible for our audiobooks. There are so many classic stories to choose from, as well as some fabulous new stories. (For dramatized stories, we use Apple Music and listen to Focus on the Family Radio Theatre's productions. My kids LOVE The Secret Garden, Little Women, Ben Hur, and the first five Narnia stories. (The last two are still a bit much for them, so they will be able to listen to them when they are older.))

The Jesus Storybook Bible  by Sally Lloyd-Jones
 This is our favorite Bible storybook. It is narrated by David Suchet (who is the voice of Aslan in the Radio Theatre Narnia series). This is such a sweet retelling of the Bible and how Jesus has been reaching for and loving us and wanting to bring us back to Him. This is a favorite at bedtime.

A Really-Truly Princess, by Amanda Kastner
This is a very sweet book about a little princess who has a vivid imagination. It struck a chord with my very imaginative girls and is requested often. There is a very sweet family dynamic throughout the book as Rosalynn learns what it means to be a really, truly princess.

Winnie The Pooh, The House at Pooh Corner, When We Were Very Young, by A.A. Milne
Narrated by Peter Dennis, these are at the top of our favorites list. Having grown up with the classic Disney Winnie-the-Pooh videos, hearing the original stories have been a delight.

Beatrix Potter: the Complete Tales
I love how each story is narrated by a different person in this edition. My kids love the tales of Benjamin Bunny, Peter Rabbit, Mrs Tiggywinkle, plus a whole host of others we weren't familiar with.


James Herriot's Treasury for Children, narrated by Jim Dale
I've always been an avid fan of James Herriot's vet tales from the pre-warII days in Yorkshire, so I was thrilled to discover his children's book. My mother bought a beautifully illustrated edition of this book for one of my girls, and then we found it on Audible. We have lots of stuffed animals named after the characters in this book now.

Next on our wishlist is The Wind in the Willows, The Little House on the Prairie series, and Stuart Little.

Hopefully this short list will give you a place to start and you and your little people will enjoy these stories as much as we have.
What are some of you and your children's favorite books? Let me know in the comments! We are always looking to expand our library.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Babies and caffeine. That's the short version of what my days as a mommy to three aged 3.5 years and under are full of. Days that make me laugh and smile, but also days that make me cry a lot, too.  I always wanted to be a mommy for as long as I can remember. A mommy and a wife with lots of babies. I'm grown up now (at least in years) and I have everything I ever dreamed of and then some.  I saw a meme not too long ago that went along the lines of  "I live in a madhouse run by a tiny army of tyrants I made myself." This describes me to a T. I'm finding the learning curve to being a parent is so much larger than I ever imagined. The rewards are greater than I imagined, even though sometimes it takes me a little bit to see them in the midst of the threenager drama, toddler meltdowns, and the exhaustion that comes from nursing a baby who wants to eat way more than his sisters ever did.  I'll be sharing here, mostly just to help me process the process, but al

Hello there, again...

It's been nearly two years since my first post here. In the busyness of a life filled with babies, my plans of blogging and writing more slipped through the cracks. (In a  war of sleeping vs. writing, for me, sleeping will always win.) But my life and the season of life I'm in is changing. So I'm hoping to resurrect a love for writing and sharing that has been buried and pushed to the back burner while I've tried to just survive the little years.  My oldest is now six and ready for first grade to hurry up and get here. The middle child is 4.5 and a neat freak living in a house with bunch of messies, and my baby boy will be three in two months and HE'S ALMOST COMPLETELY POTTY-TRAINED. My life is changing!   Now I'm navigating life as a brand new homeschool teacher--which is terrifying and exciting all at the same time. My mom (who is a veteran homeschool teacher of over 22 years and has 4 of 7 graduated currently) has been very patient with me and held my ha

Playing it by Ear and Acting Like I Know What I'm Doing

This is repost of a blog I wrote last year. It gives a little overview of our "unschooling" and how we try to incorporate learning every day activities. Our "school days" are constantly changing and evolving and will take on a little more structure once we start back up this fall with our oldest beginning 1st grade. Painting by Charles Lucy "Sunshine Hours"    Isn't this picture lovely? This may or may not be how I envisioned our homeschooling days looking.  You know, back in my youth, whilst I sat and daydreamed of when "one day" came and I had my own precious brood of little darlings. I can still remember how my mind used to wander....   Classical music playing softly in the background. Teas at 3 o'clock every afternoon--with lovely teacups, of course. Happy little chit-chat with my girls.  "Please, Mommy, just one more chapter?"  "Mommy, may sister and I go play with our dollies now?" "